Thursday, October 2, 2014

It's OK to make art that you don't like

I'd like to share a secret.  It's a little before 3:00 and my Day 2 song is already written and recorded.  I can't upload to Youtube from work, so the video link will be up later.

A curious thing happened to me today, however.  I started conceptualizing the song this morning while driving to work and I really liked the idea I was developing.  The longer I worked on it throughout the day, however, the less I liked it.  I could appreciate it from an artistic standpoint, of course, but it wasn't really a song I would sit down and listen to.

Now, this has happened to me before.  Usually when that happens, I will abandon the song in progress and start working on something completely different.  Today, however, I knew I wouldn't have any time later to start from scratch... so I just finished the song I didn't like.

I still think it's a decent song, and I'm certainly not embarrassed by it, but I simply don't like it.  And that's OK.  This challenge has been about pushing me out of my comfort zone, and finishing projects that I don't like or particularly care about is part of that.  Ideally, of course, I would love every single song that I write, but sometimes it's not about me.

It always amazes me which of my songs are someone else's favorite.  Maybe this one will be yours, and that's the reason why I finished it.

No comments:

Post a Comment