Wednesday, October 1, 2014

30 Day Writing Challenge - Day 1

To jump straight to the chase, here is my first entry into the thirty day writing challenge, a tune called "Hold You Close."  Enjoy!


Now, just a few thoughts about this project.  First, in the spirit of full disclosure, I should admit that I've been "seeding" the challenge for the last week or so.  In other words, I have some ideas ready to go, and today's song was actually two of those ideas combined into one.  Alicia is doing the same, and we don't consider it cheating because neither of us committed anything to paper.

Secondly, I've realized already that these songs are something of a work in progress.  This song, for example, feels like it needs something else there at the end... some sort of instrumental bridge, or perhaps a vocal bridge, a guitar solo... something.  I don't know what that is yet, or if that something will ever be added to this song to make it feel complete in my eyes.  But presenting polished songs here isn't really the point.  The point is simply to write more often and more volume than I have ever before.  If any of these tunes make it onto a recording, they'll be there in a drastically different format, and that's OK.

Finally, I'm painfully aware that the iPad camera is simply not up to Youtube calibre.  My HD camera should be back in a week or so, and at that point I'll experiment with other microphones to get the best sound possible.  If I find a really good way to capture the video and audio together, I may go back and rerecord these first videos for consistent quality across the thirty day challenge.  If I don't, we'll just have to live with the crummy basement quality videos.  If I do, please don't call foul on me. I put this video up just to make sure everyone knows I really did complete the song today.

If you have any thoughts, feel free to comment either here or on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment