Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Songwriting Challenge #13 and an update


Here's lucky Song 13, and it will probably be the last of the (supposed to be) 30 Day Challenge.  Between these 13 songs, the 4 songs I recently wrote for a church Christmas musical (and the 3 reprises that go along with that), and the 5 songs written specifically for Lovelight, I've written 22 songs in 2 months.  It's the highest level of productivity I've ever had, and I'm happy about that.

My other concern is that if I try to write another 17 songs, a) quality will suffer, b) I'll have too many songs to actually do anything with, ending up with songs that are never performed, and c) even if I wanted to push some songs onto the next album, they wouldn't match up with whatever I write in six months/a year from now when I start thinking about another album.

I'm actually extremely satisfied with my songwriting goals.  Remember that this whole ride started off as a goal to write three original songs, and now I've got twenty two under my belt.  I believe that equals (or at least comes close to) my songwriting output for my ENTIRE LIFE up to this summer.

In any event, because we're now in November, I'm turning my attention toward Lovelight and getting the songs learned and recorded in time for that January release date.  When I started this project, I had no band, and while the band was an important part of the goal, I fully intended to multitrack this album solo and then put together a band to play the songs.  Since I now have four other people involved in the recording process, it's become a little more complicated.  I'm working hard to make sure things are organized well enough to get the tracking done before Christmas.

I am still hoping to get a Christmas album tracked, mixed, and released, but that will entirely depend on the progress with Lovelight.  I also have the backing tracks for the Christmas musical to finish before I can look at anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment